Island of the coast of Bazil in the Atlantic Ocean
The island is closed to public in order to protect the snake population as well as the safty of the public, access is only available to the Brazilian Navy and selected researchers. Because there are so many snakes on the island it is estimated that that there is one snake to every square meter of the island. The isand was thought to have over 430,000 snakes on it at a time but over there years the estimate is slowly dropping due to the island ruining out of food resources.
Aha da queimada Grande, also known as Snake Island off the coast of Brazil in the Atlantic Ocean. It is an administered as part of the municipality of Peruible in the State of Sao Paulo. The island is small in size and has many different types of terrain, ranging from bare rock torainforrest. It is the only home to the critically endangoured, venomous Bothrops Insularis also known as the golden lancehead pit viper. The snakes became trapped on the island when rising sea levels covered up the land that connected it to the mainland. The ensuing selection pressure allowed the snakes to adapt to the their new environment, increasingrapdly in population and rendering the island dangerous to public visitation
Ghost city in the Ordos Loops or the Yellow River
Ordos ghost city
Built for over a million people, the city of Ordos was designed to be the crowning glory of Inner Mongolia. Doomed to incompletion , however, this futuristic metropolis now rises empty out of the desert of Northern China. Only 2% of its buildings were ever filled with the rest beening left to decay, abandoned mid-construction, earing Ordos the title of Chinas ghost city.
Nobody really anticipated how quickly this new development would fall flat, this came due to deadlines not being met, loans went unpaid, and investors pulled out before the projects could even be completed, leaving entire streets of unfinished. The ridiculous cost of the accomidation in this dream city put off many would be inhabitants, so that even fullycompleted apartments became difficult to sell. The city contains a museum, sports stadium, housing complexes as well as new ageapartment blocks sitting unused in the desert.
While some developers still labour on there thankless construction projects, others are busy slashing prices. Typical housing prices in the area fell from $1,100 to $470 per square foot with the expected population over a million people only 20,000 people filled one area of the city leaving the remain 98% of the 355 square kilometers of the city fully abandoned altogether.
Town abandoned due to a volcano eruption
In 1985, the Nevado del Ruiz volcano in Colombia erupted after lying dormant for 69 years. The eruption sent enormous lahars down the volcano and killed 20,000 of the 29,000 residents in the town of Armero. Controversy followed the disaster of because even though the Colombian goverment had been warned ofthe dangers of the volcano they decided not to evacuate the town resulting in one of thebiggest distasters in Colombia.
On that day storms raged the area which meant evacuation communications were not heard and confusion meant that many people stayed indoors as they had been instructed to earlier. A pyroclastic flow erupted from the volcanos creater which melted the mountians glaciers sending enormous lahars sliding down the mountian destroying everything in its path,Over three layers hit the town with 85% of the town being covered in mud. The town was then fully evactuted leaving what was left of the mud consumed town a ghost town
One of the most iconic photos ever taken after this tragedy featured a young girl who was trapped in water after lahars demolished her home, Omaryra Sanchez was pinned beneath the debrie where she remained trapped inwater for three days. Her plight was recored the whole time as it was not possible to remove her for the position she ws trapped in, after 60 hours being trapped in the water she died due to hypothermia. The photo of Sanchez was later deemed the World Press Photo of the Year for 1985.
Abandoned city with forbidden access
In the early 1970s, Famagusta was the nuber one tourist destination in Cyprus. To cater to the incrasing number of tourists many new high rise buildings and hotels were constructed. During its hayday, Varosha was not only the number one tourist place in Cyprus but between 1970 and 1974 it wasthe most popular tourist destination in the world.
In July of 1974, Turkish firces invaded and captured 3% of the island before a ceasefire was declared. The Greek military junta collapsed and was replaced by a democratic goverment in August 1974 another Turkish invasion resukted in a capture of 40% of the island. The ceasefire linefrom August 1974 becme the United Nations Buffer Zone in Cyprus and is commonly known as the Green Line
When the Turkish Armygained control of the area during the invasion, they fenced of the area and berred all admin to anyone accept the Turkish Army and Untied Nations personal. The people of Varosha hoped that they would be able to return back to there homes when the situation calmed down, but the resort was fenced off and no one was allowed to return. In the absence of human habitation and maintenance, bulidigs decay and nature has begun to reclaim back the seaside area.
Beginning in 1776 the islnd was used as a quarantine station for those suffering from the plague and other diseases for more than 100 years, and later used as a mental hospital. The mental hospital closed in 1968 and the island has sat vacant ever since
In 1776 the island became a checkpoint for all goods and people coming and going from Venice by ship, in 1793 there were several cases of the plauge on two ships, and consequently the island was then transformed into a temporary confinement station for the ill, the role then became permeant in 1805. In 1922 the existing buildings were converted into an asylum for the mental ill and for long term care. After 1968 the hospital was closed and the island was abandoned.
The Italian tourism board prohibits visting the island (on paper) and requires lengthy application processwhere you must obtain approval before you can even step you foot on the ash covered island. The island contains pits called plauge pits which are filled with an estimated 100,000 burnt bodies of all the people who died on the island over the years.The island is ranked nuber one as the most haunted sites in the world.
Island alocated for plauge victims
Native tirbe island with excultion zone
North Sentinel Island
North sentinel Island is one of the Andaman islands located in the Bay of Bengal what makes this location different from the others is that this island has people living on it but its home to the Sentinelesse tribe who are oftena very voilent tribe who recject contact with the outside world, they are amoung the last of people worldwide to remian virtually untoched from the modern world, which means limited information is known about the island.
Norminally the island belongs to South Andaman administratrative district, part of the Indian union terrirtory. But in practice, Indian authorities recognise the islanders desire to be left alone and resrict thier role to remote monitoring, even allowing the tribe to kill non Sentinelese people without prosecution, thus means that the island can be considered a sovereign area is under Indian protection.In 2006 a fishing boat drifted to close to the island which resulted in two fishermen being killed by the tribe
The population faces potental threats of infectious diseases to which they have no immunity, as well as violence from intruders. The indian goverment decleared the entire island and the surrounding waters which extends 3 nortical miles from the island and an exclusion zone. There is no real exact figures of how many people are on the island but it is said that he population is said to be slowly dying.
Hashima is a abandoned island lying off the coast of the city of Nagasaki in southen Japan.Also known as battleship island. It is on of the 505 abandoned insland in the Nagasaki Prefecture. The islands most notable features are the abandoned concert buildings which have been undesturbed except by nature, and the surrounding sea wal. While the island is a symbol of industrialization of Japan, it is also a reminder of its history as a site in which people were forced into labour proir to and during the second world war.
The island was known for its undersea coal mine which was established in 1887, which operated during the industrialisation of Japan. The island reached its peak population of 5,259 in 1959. In 1974, with the coral reserves nearing depletion, the mine was closed and all the residents departed soon after leaving the island effectively abandoned for the following three decades. Intrest in the islander-emerged in the 2000s on account of its undisturbed historical ruins, and it gradually became an attraction. The island did bring controversy when Japan tried to enter it as a wrolrd heritage site, the isand was deemed not acceptable due to the history it had with forced labou, Japan tried to cover it up by saying that it wasnt forced labour but more along the lines of just hard work. To this day UNESCO have urged that Japan to keep this island out of there history books and keep there promise not to promote this island, as it has been already removed from the offical tourism website of Nagasaki.
Abandoned industrial island
Abandoned dinamond mine town
Kolmanskopis a ghost town in southern Nambia, 10 kilometers inland from the port town of Ludertiz. In 1908 the worker Zacharias Lewala found a diamond while workinfg in the area and showed it to his supervisor, the German railway inspector the realised the are was rich in diamonds begain the dig. German miners soon began to settlements and soon after the German goverment declared the large area as a Sperrgebiet (prohibited area) and started to exploit the diamond field.
Driven by the enormous wealth of the first diamond miners, the residents of soon bulit a village in the architectural style of a German town. The town soon started to decline after World War I when the mine slowly started to deplete. By the early 1930s the area was in full decline. Hasting the towns demise was the discovery in 1928 of the richest every diamond bearing beach deposit ever known. These beach terraces were 270km south of Kolmanskop, many of the towns inhabitants joined the rush to the south leaving there homes and possitions behind. Now the town sits in the middle of the desert empty and fully consumed by sand as it has been left abandoned since the mine stoped.
Kolmanskop mining town
Constructed in early 1990s, Russias own hidden military baase is slightly more than just a base, it has been called Russias’s Area 51, and it is a top secret town. Mezhgorye is nestled within the Ural mountains and is said to be 400 square miles large but still completly off the radar. It is considered one of the worlds most mysterious closed towns with a host of secret intrigue.
Mezhgorye stored over 73 nuclear warheads. Acording to investigative reports by former times writer Kenneth R. Timmerman, the Russians needed somewhere to keep there devastating nuclear weapons following the cold war so they decided that the best place for them was an isolated town in the middle of nowhere. To make matter worse these warheads werent just your run of the mill weapons but weapons of mass destruction. These bombs were capable of roughly 365 times the power of what was droped on Hiroshima.
The Ural mountiansare vast, running from the coast of the Arctic to the north western Kazakhstan. But the town was specificallly built atop of Mount Yamantau, the highest mountain in the range. Rumours clain that the base has had extensive mining and excavtion which has allowed the Russians to build into the mountianitself creating a subterranean bumke, complete with its own railway and highway system.
It is located near the infamous site of the Daytlov Pass incident which occured in1959 when nine hikers mysteriously died while camping in the mountains. Although a large group of people dying in freezing temperatures is certainly tragic, the manner in which the group perished has raised serious questions.
Top secret closed town
Abandoned vacation resort
Sanzhi UFO house
The UFO houses were constructed i the begining of 1978. They were intended as a vacation resort in a part of the northern coast adjacent to Tamsui, they were marketed towards the US military officers coming from thier East Asia postings, the resort aso know as pod city it was never fully completed and was abandoned as soon as construction on the project started. The buildings were designed to resemble Futuro houses some examples of what can be found elsewhere in Taiwan
The project was never completed in the 1980s due to investment losses and sevaral car accident deaths and suicides during the construction, these are said the be caused by the inauspicious act of bisecting the Chinese dragon sculpture located near the resort gate for the widing of the road to the buildings. Others indicated that the site that the pods were built on was a former burial ground for Dutch soldiers. Nobody has been legally allowed to step foot on the resort grounds since 1908, but it has become an underground tourist attraction because of the paranormal activities and conspiracies that surround it
Abandonded nuclear town
The Chernobly disaster was a catastroph nuclear accident. It occured on 25-26 April in 1986 in the N0 4 light water graphite moderated reactor at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant which was located near the town Pripyat. The event occured during a test of the which would simulate the stations backup power failure grid, when the power turned off due to reactor design flaws and and other human issuse its began a meltdown. Water flashed into steam generating destructive steam explosions and a subsequent open air graphite fire. The estimated radioactive inventory that was released during this very hot phase approximately equaled in magnitude the airborne fission products released in the initial explosion. This radioative material precipitated onto parts of the western USSr and Europe.
The near by city of Pirpyat was was evacuated after the reactor meltdown and every pperson in the town boarded buses and left, ;eaving the town of Pirpyatfully abandoned, residients hoped that they would soon be able to return back to there homes but instead in 1986 the city od Slavutych was constructed to replace Pripyat. A excultion zone was put around the reactor that spread out over 30 kilometers in every direction. Ukraine officals have stated the are would not be safe for humans to live in for many years to come.One of the most notable features of the town which is often featured in photgraphs of the city is the giant Ferris wheel located in the city amusement park.
Centralia is a borough and ghost town in Columbia Country , Pennsylvania. Its population has dwindled from more than 1,000 residents in 1980 to 63 by 1990 and only now only seven fill a small area of the town. This is a result of a underground mine fire that has been burning since 1962. All real estate in the borough was claimed under eminent domian in 1992 and therein condemned by the commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Centralias zip code was discontinued by the postal service in 2002, the goverment reached an aggrment with the seven locals to let them live out there lives in the town before it becoms abanded forever.
the fire startedin may 1962when the firefighters, as they do in the past, set the dump on fire and let it urn for sometime. Unlike the previous years this time the fire was not fully extinguished, an unsealed opening in the pit allowed the fire to enter the labyrinth of abandoned coal mines underneath the town. Few homes are left standing most abandoned buildings have been demolished or reclaimed by nature. At a glance there now looks like a feild with many paved streets running through it. The only indication that the fire is still burning which runs for over 400 acres underground are low round meta steam vents that are souh of the borough. several signs warn of underground fires, unstablle ground and dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
Centralia mining town
Aboandoned due to unerdground fire
North Brother Island
North Brother islandwas uninhabited untill 1885, untill Riverside hospital moved there from Blackwells island. Riverside island was founded in the 1850s as the smallpox hospital to treat isolated victims of that disease. Its mission eventually expanded to other quarantinable diseases, with the most recent being Tuberculosis Pavilion, which was opened in 1943 and was almost immediately obsolete.
Mary Mallon, also known as Tyhoid Mary was confined to the island for over two decades untill she died there in 1938. The hospital closed soon after. Mary was an Irish-american cook, she was identified as the first person in the United states as the asymptomatic carrier of the pathogen associated with typhid fever. She was presumed to have infected 51 people over the course of her carrer as a cook. She ws forced twice forcibly isolated by public health authorities and died after a total of nearly three decades in isolation
The island is now a bird sanctuary for herons and other wing shore birds, the island itself is fully abandoned and off limits to the public. Most of the hospital buildings are still standing but are heavy damaged and in danger of collapse. A dence forrest now covers the island concealing the hospital.